Pierre Moerlen's Gong was an instrumental jazz fusion band led by French drummer Pierre Moerlen which developed as an offshoot of the psychedelic progressive rock band Gong founded and led by Daevid Allen. It was notable for the prominent use of mallet percussion, particularly vibraphone, in a jazz-rock context
Label variant from Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Downwind. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws" appears at the bottom of the labels. Recorded at Matrix Studios, except A3 recorded at Througham. Matrix, Runout (Side 1, label): AB 4219 SA. Matrix, Runout (Side 2, label): AB 4219 SB. Matrix, Runout (Side 1, etched): AB-4219-SA.
By the late 1970s Percussionist Pierre Moerlen had taken over the leadership of GONG and had steered the band away from Psychedelic Space Rock and took the band into a Jazz Rock direction, one in which the band excelled. After recording several albums with VIRGIN, with the band now featured Hansford Rowe on bass, Ross Record on guitar, Benoit Moerlen on vibes and Francois Causse on percussion. Moerlen signed with Arista Records in 1978 and recorded this excellent album partially in Mike Oldfield’s studio.
First Gong album under Pierre Moerlen's name, Downwind is a surprising album in many ways, but at least with the evocative artwork, we know who's the boss. Although seeing the line-up of the group on this album is resembling the one f Expresso II, it has al all-star guest cast of Taylor and Lockwood (again), the returning Malherbe but Stevie Winwood and Mike Oldfield. Actually I suspect some of the tracks on this album being recorded during the Expresso II recording sessions
Artists Pierre Moerlen's Gong Downwind. Downwind Pierre Moerlen's Gong. This album has an average beat per minute of 98 BPM (slowest/fastest tempos: 98/98 BPM).
Tracklist Hide Credits
Co-producer – Mike OldfieldFlute – Terry OldfieldGuitar, Bass, Drums – Mike OldfieldSaxophone – Didier MalherbeSynthesizer – Steve Winwood
|5||What You Know
Lead Guitar – Mick Taylor
- Manufactured By – BMG Japan, Inc.
- Record Company – BMG Japan, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Arista Records, Inc.
- Remastered At – JVC Mastering Center
- Bass, Vocals – Hansford Rowe
- Co-producer – Nick Bradford (tracks: 1, 2, 4 to 8)
- Congas, Marimba – François Causse
- Design [Re-issue Design] – Shoji Uemura
- Drums, Vibraphone, Timpani, Cowbell, Timbales, Percussion, Organ [Hammond], Synthesizer, Vocals – Pierre Moerlen
- Guitar, Vocals – Ross Record
- Liner Notes [Translations] – 狩野ハイディ*, 若月眞人*
- Management [Re-issue Product Director] – Shigeru Sekiguchi
- Producer – Pierre Moerlen
- Remastered By – Koji Tanaka
- Vibraphone – Benoit Moerlen
- Violin – Didier Lockwood (tracks: 1, 6, 7)
NotesComes in a CD-sized papersleeve album replica, with obi-strip, printed inner-sleeve and insert of notes mostly in Japanese.
K2 24bit Mastering
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 4988017643297
- Matrix / Runout: BVCM-37763 1T V
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI L236
- Mould SID Code: IFPI 4011
- Rights Society: JASRAC
|1C 064-62 272, 1 C 064-62 272||Pierre Moerlen's Gong||Downwind (LP, Album)||EMI Electrola, Arista, EMI Electrola, Arista||1C 064-62 272, 1 C 064-62 272||Germany||1979|
|201 138, 201 138-270||Pierre Moerlen's Gong||Downwind (LP, Album, RE)||Arista, Arista||201 138, 201 138-270||Germany||1982|
|JPCD9909221||Gong*||Downwind (CD, Album, Unofficial)||ООО "ДОРА"||JPCD9909221||Russia||1999|
|SPART 1080||Pierre Moerlen's Gong||Downwind (LP, Album)||Arista||SPART 1080||UK||1979|
|AL-4219||Pierre Moerlen's Gong||Downwind (LP, Album)||Arista||AL-4219||Australia||1979|